2017 AGM and Conference Information
Dates: Friday, September 29 â€“ Saturday, September 30, 2017
GDUC Would Like to Thank Our Sponsors
About The Best Western Brantford Hotel & Conference Centre
We will be staying and meeting at the Best Western Brantford Hotel & Conference Centre which is located at 19 Holiday Drive, Brantford, ON N3R 7J4.
Please make your reservations directly with the hotel by calling 1-877-341-1234 or 519-753-8652. A block of traditional guest rooms at $114.99 per night plus HST is being held under our organization's name until Friday, August 25, 2017. So, the cost for 2 nights' accommodation will be approximately $260.00.
We will do our best to find you a roommate if you check the "Interested in sharing accommodation" box on the conference registration form.
Your room rate includes the following:
- 2 double beds
- Free high speed internet access
- Complimentary continental breakfast (upgrade to the hot breakfast buffet for $5)
- Access to exercise room, indoor pool, hot tub and sauna
- In-room coffee-maker with complimentary coffee
- Free local calls
- In-room iron and ironing board
- In-room hair dryer
- Access to coin laundry
- Check-in â€“ 3:00 PM
- Check-out â€“ 11:00 AM (late checkout is subject to availability, and must be arranged in advance with the front desk)
Up to 4 people may occupy a room without additional charges. There is a $10 charge for a 5th person.
Cancellation and Early Departure
If a guest should need to cancel all or part of an individual reservation, the cancellation must be done by 4pm of the day prior to that being cancelled. If a registered guest requires to check out before their scheduled departure date the hotel must be notified by 4pm, of the day prior to departure, or an early departure fee of 100% of the guest room rate plus taxes will apply.
Any guest with a guaranteed reservation who does not register on the date reserved will be charged 100% of the guest room rate plus taxes for the first night of the reservation.
Any guests paying by cash or debit upon arrival will be required to pay a $100 security deposit (that will be returned to them upon check out, provided no damage has been done) as well as the full amount of the room and taxes for the duration of their stay.
The Best Western Brantford Hotel & Conference Centre is 100% smoke free as of January 1, 2007. A fee of $100 will be assessed to the account of any guest found smoking in any guest room.
- $35 for GDUC members in good standing, or $40 at the door
- $40 for non-member guide dog handlers, or $45 at the door
- $30 for sighted, or partially sighted, companions, or $35 at the door
Note all attendees must fill out the registration form in advance.
If you wish to bring a sighted, or partially sighted, companion, please check the appropriate box on the registration form. Your companion also needs to register, and instructions for completing that process will be emailed to you after you register yourself.
In return for discounted registration, your companion is expected to provide you with any help you may need throughout the event.
The registration fee includes the following on Saturday, September 30:
- Morning coffee break
- Choice of hot lunch (roast beef or chicken breast)
- Afternoon coffee break
If you need to cancel your registration, please do so before Monday, September 25, 2017 to avoid penalties.
In addition to the Conference registration fee and hotel charges, the following information is being presented to assist you in planning your trip to Brantford:
Mary Spice Fund
If you are a member of GDUC in good standing, and require financial assistance to attend this year's Conference, the Mary Spice fund offers grants to help in that regard. To apply simply check the "Interested in financial assistance for travel or accommodation" box on the Conference registration form. Funds will be provided on a first-come-first-serve basis. The cut-off date for applying to the Mary Spice fund is Friday, August 25, 2017.
Get On Board With Via Rail
***Once again this year, Via Rail has graciously agreed to sponsor our AGM and Conference by providing members of GDUC in good standing with complimentary train tickets to and from Brantford. We wish to thank everyone at Via Rail for their ongoing generous support.
- City Cab â€“ 519-759-7800
- Bell City Cabs â€“ 519-759-1300
- Brant Taxi â€“ 519-752-1010
Trains, Planes, Automobiles, and Buses
- Brantford's train station is located at 5 Wadsworth Street, Brantford, ON N3T 3V5 â€“ about a $10 cab ride to the hotel
- Brantford's bus station is located at 64 Darling Street, Brantford, ON N3T 6G6 â€“ about a $10 cab ride to the hotel
- John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is located at 9300 Airport Road, Mount Hope, ON L0R 1W0 â€“ about a $? cab ride to the hotel
- The hotel offers complimentary parking for those arriving by automobile
GDUC 2017 AGM and Conference Draft Agenda
Friday, September 29, 2017
All activities will take place in the Gretzky Room:
- 1:00 PM â€“ registration and vendor exhibition:
- Open to the public
- All donations received will be split 50-50 with the Brant County SPCA
- Dog treats to adaptive technology, and everything else in between
- Coffee, tea, water, and treats
- The exhibition will conclude at 5:15 PM in order to give hotel staff sufficient time to re-configure the room for our evening event
- 6:30 PM â€“ dinner (sponsored by Grand Financial Planning), auction, and social, with Sue Neveu-Bhatti acting as Master of Ceremonies
Saturday, September 30, 2017
All AGM/Conference sessions will take place in the Gretzky Room:
- 8:15 AM â€“ registration (primarily for those not staying at the hotel), and opportunity to purchase raffle tickets
- 8:45 AM â€“ welcome, with Chris Trudell-Conklin acting as Master of Ceremonies:
- Acknowledge sponsors
- Introduce Directors and committee members
- Opening remarks:
- His Worship Mayor Chris Friel, the City of Brantford, with introduction by Lynn Raloff
- Roll call
- A salute to guide dog puppy raisers
- A minute of silence in remembrance of guide dogs who have retired or passed
- 9:20 AM â€“ annual general meeting session 1, with Greg Thompson acting as chair:
- Call to order
- Approval of agenda
- Approval of 2016 AGM Minutes
- President's report
- Treasurer's report, Chris Trudell-Conklin
- Fund Development Committee report, Bob Brown
- Wellness Fund Committee report, Chris Trudell-Conklin
- Member Services Committee report, Neena Saloya
- Advocacy and Fake Service Dogs Committee reports, Alan Conway
- Service Dogs Standards Project report, Christine Duport-Switzer
- 10:20 AM â€“ first draw for door prizes, opportunity to purchase raffle tickets, and coffee break
- 10:35 AM â€“ annual general meeting session 2, with Greg Thompson acting as chair:
- Introduce resolutions to be voted on during the third AGM session:
- Resolution 2017-1 â€“ a general resolution allowing GDUC to obtain a credit card to simplify payment of routine bills
- Nominations Committee report, TBD
- Nominations from the floor for Secretary and 6 directors, TBD
- Start of electronic voting
- Introduce resolutions to be voted on during the third AGM session:
- 11:45 AM â€“ TBD
- 12:15 PM â€“ second draw for door prizes, opportunity to purchase raffle tickets, and hot lunch (sponsored by CNIB)
- 1:30 PM â€“ workshops:
- The Seeing Eye's Lucas Franck delivers his World-famous lecture on traffic
- Guide Dog School reps talk to us about stress:
- Whether we mean to or not, we transmit any stress we may be feeling to our guides through the harness handle
- How stress may affect our dogs and their guide work
- Tips and tricks for avoiding and reducing stress
- 3:00 PM â€“ third draw for door prizes, opportunity to purchase raffle tickets, and coffee break
- 3:15 PM â€“ annual general meeting session 3, with Greg Thompson acting as chair:
- End of electronic voting
- Vote on resolutions
- Vote for Secretary and 6 Directors, TBD
- 4:00 PM â€“ group picture as a thank you to Via Rail
- 4:15 PM â€“ raffle and closing remarks
- 6:00 PM â€“ meet in the hotel lobby preparatory to boarding a bus at 6:15 which will take us to Angels Diner where dinner will start at 6:45 PM
- 9:00 PM â€“ return to the hotel
Registering for the Conference
If you already have a My GDUC account, please Log Into My GDUC to Register for the 2017 Conference or Create a My GDUC Account